Thursday, February 9, 2012


                              PART 2:    The Breast Collar

 
Here I've started the straps for the breast collar. I add the stitch marks to give it that finished look.



Skiver each piece.

The center piece is in place, now for the side silver.

After adding the first silver strip I messure for the next one.

The mark on the leather tells me where the next silver strip will start.

Looking good!

This is the hardware for the the center strap to attach to the cinch.

The leather strap has a buckle at one end and the clip on the other.  Here I'm gluing the clip and ring to the strap.

All most done.  I've sealed it all with Tan Kote.
I added the straps to the breast collar that attaches to the saddle breast collar dee rings.  A beautiful piece to compliment the saddle.

4 comments:

Shanti said...

Thank you for showing how you make your tack! I was wondering about your way of making straps. First you measure the width and length of the straps on your piece of leather and befor cutting them you add your stitch marks? How do you cut such precise straps? Just terrific work!!

Western Tack by Marilyn Fowler said...

Thank you Shanti, I use a double razor tool, I can adjust the width on it. You need to have very thin leather to make nice tack, and always skiver the leather for a thin smooth finish. I hope this helps.

Shanti said...

Thank you Marilyn! ;)
May I ask if you have a picture of the double razor tool? Just can' imagine how it might look. Thx!

Shanti said...

Sorry to bother you again, do you have a picture of your double razor tool? I searched for it but alway found only razors for men....