Saturday, February 11, 2012



                     Part 3:    The Bridle


To make a curb chain, it takes two 1/16 strips of leather lace about  1 1/2 inches long, two buckles of choise, chain links of 3, and two small rings.

Skiver the leather lace very thin.

 Add buckles to ends of leather lace.

Add rings to chain links, place leather lace inside rings and position close to ring and glue.

 Here I'm giving the leather lace a little stain to darken them.

I've placed the curb chain on one side of the bit.  The leather lace is a little long, that's ok this is trimmed at the finishing of the bridle.


Beautiful! the finished look.







Here I'm checking for fit.  I want the buckle to fit between the eye and the ear.  At live shows I have seen the buckles at the eye, ( as a judge this is something I frown upon.)





The customer asked for a single ear piece.  This piece is from Sulser Saddlery on line.

Just slip the ear piece into place.

I like this look, nice and neat.

The finished bridle.  My reins are braided floss.  Bridles are a little difficult at times but they are worth the effort to make a really pretty set.  A good fit is most important and correct in material.  I have seen some really goddy bridles at the shows that over power the head.  Sometimes less is best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAH! You beat me to the curbstrap tutorial, so now I don't have to write it ;)! Nicely done. I'll pass this on to all the newbies that come my way.

Western Tack by Marilyn Fowler said...

I love the carving you do, I need you to teach me how to do this.

Struttn Steed Studio said...

very nice*